Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Responding to Art Work

Works that made an impression on me.

1. Claude Monet "Chemin De Halge a` Argenteuil (Tow-Path At Argenteuil)" Oil on Canvas 1875. 

What first captivated me about this painting was the motion of the short quick brush strokes that made up the majority of the painting. Towards the end of my visit I found myself drawn into this work again, but from a different angle. From this new direction I was able to realize the counter intuitive transition of focus, from clear at a distance, to somewhat blurry up close.

2. Robert Raushenburg. "Ace" Oil, cardboard, wood, metal on canvas. 1962
I was originally captivated by the movement from left to right of the installation. At about the same I realized this, I noticed that the letter R was crossed out at the bottom, and lined up exactly with the word Ace at the top of the page. I interpreted this as the artist warning us against racing through any transition. This made me appreciate the slow transition from rainy to bright (or pain to joy). It made me think twice about enjoying the ride, instead of trying to rush the next great thing.

3.  Donald Judd. Untitled Galvanized iron and plexiglass. 1969


I was captivated by the seemingly infinite staircase to another world. Although there were only 10 "shelves" they seemed to travel infinitely high, and infinitely low. I was inclined to immerse myself into the art work somehow, and probably would have tried, had I not been at an Art Gallery.








Works I felt a connection with.

1. Chain Soutine "Carcass of beef" oil on canvas 1925

I felt a connection with this piece from the moment I saw it. It was quite disturbing, and profound at the same time. The meet was portrayed in the shape of a human heart, and appeared as if it could explode at any moment. The use of  different shades of red inflamed the senses to no end. It seemed that the artist was attempting to use invoke a sense of horror on the viewer, as a means to move them to vegan lifestyle. This concept continues to be portrayed by the usage of the word carcass in the title.








2. Max Beckmann "Hotel Lobby", oil on canvas:1950
I felt an immediate connection with the gentleman seated at the focal point of the piece. This is of course no coincidence, all pairs of eyes but one are on him in the painting as well. Well I never came to a conclusion as to why that I felt sure of, many possibilities ran through my head. I contemplated the fact that he was in the midst of a high class poker game, and wondered if perhaps he was on the run and everyone was starting to figure it out.


3. Jehan Georges Vibert "The Marvelous Sauce"

 I felt a connection with this painting, simply because I've seen the picture unknowingly imitated in many of my family members kitchens. My dad and his sister are both half Italian, and often transform into purebreds when cooking classic Italian dishes.

Works I wished to know more about.

1. Franz Marc "Die Wolfe" (The wolves(Balkan war))" oil on canvas:1913

 

The image of the wolves hovering around a dieing or dead wolf speaks to the brutality of the war. Although I have done substantial research on major wars of the 20th century, I am just vaguely familiar with the Balkan War. I found it necessary to plan on investigating this war more in depth, in order to gain a better understanding of the painting.

2. Jean Hans Arp "Somersault", Bronze 1947 and "Pedestal Column" wood and marble. 1964

Image Not Found

This two sculptures were created 17 years apart, and yet fit together as one art work brilliantly. I would like to know if the "Pedestal Column" was deliberately sculpted to act as a base for the Bronze work, or if this was decided after the fact.

3. Daniel Ridgeway Knight "Springtime" Oil on Canvas" 1890

 

This work of art appears to be a photograph, superimposed onto a painting. While other paintings are nearly perfect renditions of their subjects, the image of the woman in the painting literally appears to be a photograph. I cannot help but to wonder how he accomplishes this.


3 comments:

  1. I love your interpretations on many of these pieces. You are so imaginative, and really immerse yourself in the painting to find a story. It is hard for me to look at things beyond the surface a lot of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also selected the "marvelous sauce." I love that painting. It amazes me because of the time period it was painted in and the fact that it looks like a photograph. I also like your description of the meat. It is very disturbing and isn't interesting that not all art is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a great job interpreting the different artworks here. I also was moved by the piece Chain Soutine "Carcass of beef" oil on canvas 1925. It was very striking to me and the theme of it is really intense. Nice job picking these pieces out!

    ReplyDelete